[HLUG] SATA drive question

Paul Stenning paul at vintage-radio.com
Thu Nov 27 16:41:17 UTC 2008

Yes, Simple Backup creates one huge .tar.gz compressed file for the full
backup.  For incremental backups it makes a .tar.gz file containing just
the files which have changed since the last backup.  So you could
restore files from any backup, not just the latest.

It's not the same sort of thing as SyncToy.  For that functionality in
Linux you should be looking at rsync or Unison, not at a backup program.
  Both are in the Ubuntu repositories.  Unison has a GUI whereas rsync
is command line.  With either you need to use CRON with command line
parameters if you want to schedule them.

Paul