[HLUG] CAP backup DVDs

dicegeorge at hotmail dot com dicegeorge at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 1 20:51:38 UTC 2008

just been to my local CAP AGM,
they're not computer experts,
and are worrying that if any of their laptops get messed up
they'd have to spend hours reinstalling software and finding the serial
numbers...

and other CAPs have this problem to...

my solution is to boot one off of a USB stick or a CD,
(using some version of linux)
make a disk image thingy to a DVD using an external DVD writer
(or maybe to an external USB hard drive first)
so that the laptop can be restored from its own DVD ....

As each laptop has different serial numbers theyd need a different DVD for
each one
they have CDRW and DVD but not DVD writers...

but i dont have the knowlege to select the software for such a boot CD

Only when they have their backup secure will they let me install ubuntu on
one of their laptops!

[george]