[HLUG] October meeting

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 20 21:43:24 UTC 2008

dicegeorge at hotmail dot com wrote:
> why not an evening session 6pm-8pm?
>
> now its dark at that time i wont be in my garden...
> or do people have to work past 6???

I think a few of us would find it difficult to get to Hereford after
work for 6pm. I normally finish at 5.30pm/ 6pm, go home, eat, etc so it
wouldnt leave me any time.

So are we back at square one with the idea of using the Community Access
Points as our regular meeting place ?

We really do need to find a good venue. If we assume South Wye is out -
price is a bit higher, and opening hours is the real big problem, then
as far as I see it we have 4 options :-

   1. Find another CAP with cheaper/later opening pref at least 7pm - 9pm

      Advs - There are more to try,
      http://www.myherefordshire.com/communityaccess/locations.aspx, eg
      Burghill, Bodenham, Weobley, Mansel Lacy perhaps ??
      Disadvs - Some are quite isolated; would be nice to get somewhere
      permanent settled soon

      Advs - Cheap, friendly, central to county (ish),
      Disadvs - Couldn't get wifi working, small room.

      Advs - Cheap, Friendly, Central and good transport links. Pubs nearby
      Disadvs - No wi-fi, perhaps not the most conducive of atmosphere ..

   4. Look for somewhere else entirely

      Advs - Is there someone a group member knows who can let us use a
      meeting room, free or cheap?
      Disadvs - Can be too expensive for a small group like us

Can you please let me have your ideas / suggestions  for LUG meeting
places ?  If anyone knows of somewhere that fits all or most of
following criterion, we would be pleased to also give it a try :-

    * Not too far from the central of the County
    * Wifi - very important - I have a Three and O2 3G modem, and may be
      able to borrow a router to work with them. Unless Paul can bring
      his along.
    * Cheap - can only afford what we are happy to pay each session
    * Decent amount of space for 5 - 10 people max
    * Toilets/ drinks handy
    * Pub nearby ?

I would like to get a meeting organised this month anyway, so if we
can't get another CAP or venue, we will have a pub meeting instead
somewhere around Hereford.

Julian Robbins
Herefordshire LUGMaster