[HLUG] backup tool?

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 29 19:38:18 UTC 2008

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Quoting dicegeorge at hotmail dot com <dicegeorge at hotmail.com>:
>

>> Do any of the panel know of a backup program
>> which i can use to backup certain files
>> and which is opensource and will run on both ubuntu and windows
>> please?
>>

> backuppc - a nice web interface, can use TAR/SSH/SAMBA/rsync. etc or a
> combination thereof will backup most O/S's.

We use backuppc at work. Its very nice - but a little tricky to setup.
> bacula - requires a client on each system to be backed up and a
> "master" server to back up to, but v. powerful and can use various
> backends including MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite.
>
> Those are the ones that I've used and, unless you're backing up to
> tape, I'd recommend backuppc.

I'd also include rsync and a GUI version grsync.
Unison is a little different : ie it will allow you to sync files
between Linux and windows, using rsync. Bit like the old Windows
briefcase idea, but far superior.

I think you'll find it hard to find a normal tool taht works on Linux
and Windows unless its webbased, as the Filesystems are so different.

Also, try
http://lifehacker.com/342576/get-time+machine+like-snapshot-backup-with-flyback

Julian