[HLUG] CentOS

matt stone stone.matthew at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 08:58:12 UTC 2008

2008/9/1 Morven Lewis-Everley <m.lewis.everley at googlemail.com>:
> Apparently Mythbuntu is a very good MythTV based distro.
>
> A recent Episode of Systm talks about setting up MythBuntu:
>
> http://revision3.com/systm/bmwt/
>
> Looks pretty simple.
>
> Mo

To be honest i've looked at the various myth distributions available
in the past and have never really been tempted. While they can be
useful to get a system up and running quickly they don't really
provide the learning experience that rolling your own provides which,
imo, is the best way to get to know how to run and modify your system.

In the end i got my system all sorted on saturday morning (a 6am wake
up call from my son made sure i got started early :) I've got a couple
of minor issues which i'll be getting on to the mythtv mailing list
for but overall things are working even better than my previous
install. I've dropped the machine's load average by around 300% boot
up is a lot quicker, a quick modification to fstab has seen disk
fragmentation drop right down below 1% (previously it used to run at a
near constant 75% fragmentation with defrags being run nightly) and in
general myth feels a lot zippier when jumping through the menus.

I can appreciate that, for some, a pre built distribution may seem
more attractive but my recommendation is, if you've got the time and
the patience, jump in do the lot yourself, it's well worth it in the
end.

Cheers
Matt