[HLUG] September Mtg Report

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 26 21:09:30 UTC 2008

Hi

As Paul asked, I thought I'd give you a quick summary of the LUG meeting
last Weds.

As you might know we changed venue for the first time in a long while,
so it was a toe into the water for us.

Preston on Wye CAP at their Village Hall had nice facilities and made us
feel very welcome. However there were two major downsides :-

   1. Try as we might, only one of us could get online with their
      wireless. Linux Mint managed it, nothing else did. We think its
      because the CAP employ authentication with an ASCII keyphrase, but
      either way both our windows pc, and Ubuntu and 'unknown' Linux pc
      (I'll come to that later ..) couldn't get online after an hour of
      trying.
   2. The hall was smart, well decorated with a good size car park.
      Unfortunately, the separate room we had was somewhat smaller than
      perhaps we had envisaged. (But cheap at £8 for the room).

All in all, I suppose a 6.75 out of ten.

We really need wifi, and we ended up wasting quite a bit of time trying
to work out how to get online, even after they had passed us the full
admin manual, passwords and all for the whole, IT system !! Very trusting .

7 of us attended, but Chris and his dad had to leave half way through.
Julian, Chris, plus dad, Graham, The chap from the Forest of Dean (sorry
I still cant remember on your name !!, & George. I have a feeling I
missed someone, if so, my apologies.

George brought along his micro, micro laptop, with unknown Linux OS.
After much poking we still could not figure out what it was running,
especially after I got into a cmd prompt that it wouldn't get out of !
Impressive little machine £180 ish from Maplin.

I brought along my Elonex Webbook, with week old open source 3D VIA
graphics drivers, wobbly windows and all !! Compiz actually works really
well, on it. I'm very pleased with it.

A straw poll indicated that the CAP idea was definitely worth pursuing,
but to try another. South Wye, is next on our list, which if you didn't
know is actually in Hereford itself unlike the vast majority of CAP's in
villages around the county.

Roll on next month !!