[HLUG] Linux and Open Source Conference, this weekend

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 3 12:44:08 UTC 2009

Hi

Just a reminder that in nearby Birmingham, at the Conservatoire, is the *UK
Unix Users Group Summer Conference*.

Dont let the 'Unix' bit put you off, most of the sessions are about Linux
and/or Open Source Software. There's some tasty looking stuff like, *Mashing
Up the Guardian where they tell you how the Guardian newspaper was able to
put together a web based view of all the MP's expenses *in short time using
mainly OSS tools and languages. *Converting 16000 user mailboxes from MBOX
to Maildir++*, for all the mail administrators amongst us. To lighter topics
such as *Open Street Map, and two Linux based Web 2.0 OS's for
phones/netbooks **Collaborative Web OS - the power of UNIX in the age of Web
2.0* / *Mer - Touching Linux*.

http://summer2009.ukuug.org.uk/

There are also tutorials on Friday about the GIMP, Latex, Arduino, VoIP with
Linux, etc.

The conference itself starts Saturday, and lasts until Sunday.

I'm going for a single day (at half the rate £75!) on Sunday as I'm
interested in the talk about Xapian, which is a enterprise level search
engine.

If you are interested in going, you need to get registered *by Weds* at the
latest. Please email the list if you are going, so if a couple of members
are going, they can share the petrol and save the planet !

There is also a lunch meal, and a dinner on the Sat night. What more could
you want ?

Cheers