[HLUG] Content filtering server, email server, domain controller

Paul Stenning paul at vintage-radio.com
Mon Feb 9 19:28:00 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I am looking into what is needed for a new server requirement at work
later this year.  If possible I would like to do as much as possible
with Linux and open source, and just use virtualised Windows for the
areas where Linux can't be used.  Some of the requirements are:

Domain controller:  The clients are all Windows (will be XP Pro or Vista
Business) and we want to have a proper login system whereby people can
use their username and password on any PC and get their own desktop,
files and settings etc.  This is the sort of thing that Windows domains
do well.  Can it be done in Linux or would we need a Windows server for
the domain controller?

Email:  Currently the clients use Thunderbird to access email directly
from the web server using IMAP and send using SMTP.  We would like to
have our own email server which fetches email from the web server
(probably using POP3) every few minutes and which the users connect to
using Thunderbird and IMAP as now.  We would like to be able to retain
messages that the users delete for a period of time and to be able to
back up all email reliably.  We really do not want to head down the
Exchange/Outlook route.  What are our options with Linux?  Ease of
configuration would help of course!

Web content filtering:  We want to limit the websites users can access.
  Some sites (adult, illegal content etc) would always be blocked, most
others would be allowed for a certain amount of time each day (say one
hour to allow people to use Facebook, BBC News, Amazon etc during lunch)
and a selected few would be accessible all the time (the ones needed for
work).  We would need to be able to override the 1 hour restriction on
an ad-hoc basis easily if someone needs more access on a particular day.

File sharing:  That's easy enough - Samba.  It needs to link into the
domain controller stuff though so it follows password changes.

Intranet and development web server:  Easy, Apache with PHP and MySQL.

Managing the whole thing:  Probably Webmin.  Remote access to this would
be very useful but that will probably be handled by VPN routers.

Eset anti-virus management:  That will have to be done with Windows in
vmware (or virtualbox if I can get it to work).

Backup:  On my home server I am using Simple Backup to backup to a
removable USB drive every day.  It works reasonably well except it has
no way of notifying if the backup disk is full.  Backing up to tape
would be useful but there seems to be a shortage of easy-to-configure
tape backup applications.  It obviously needs to back up the email,
documents and all user desktop settings etc.

If I can do most of this with Linux I will probably go for Ubuntu Server
8.04 LTS as that's what I'm familiar with.  CentOS is another possibility.

So how much of this can be done with Linux, what packages are suggested
and how easy is it to configure?  Most is possible with Windows Small
Business Server (which uses the dreaded Exchange Server) with a separate
content filtering application, and I have done most of that with Windows
SBS for another client.  I'd like to do it with Linux this time though.

Thanks!

--

Best regards,
Paul Stenning