[HLUG] Content filtering server, email server, domain controller

Paul Stenning paul at vintage-radio.com
Mon Feb 9 21:50:14 UTC 2009

Hi Julian, all,

> We have a  similar system at work that we've had a for a few years now,
> ie Linux servers, mostly windows and some linux desktops.

Interesting... :)

> You can have roaming profiles in Samba, but we found it was a bit prone
> to problems. Windows profiles can get a bit big, which is the problem,
> and thus more likely to suffer corruption, so good user training, ie not
> putting large files on their desktops, all helps.

I think the biggest files for most of our users would be the local IMAP
caches of Thunderbird.  I am trying to train users to clear out their
sent mail folder periodically.  That can be fixed using Thunderbird's
disk space options though.

Only one user tends to store big files on the desktop and he is
trainable. :)

> A word of warning - get your permissions of your samba shares setup
> properly. It takes longer, but if you get staff leaving, and you remove
> them as a user, you can get problems, resetting ownerships on the files
> they have created, unless you setup group permissions to your shares
> rather than shares set with just user privs. Also, dont mix up samba
> privs and filesystem privs. File system privileges always override samba
> ones, but if you use a mixture of the too, you'll get in a real mess !

Noted as something to come back to in due course, thanks.

> This is exactly what we have use.  fetchmail running  doing a POP, then
> delivering the mail so that IMAP clients  can pick it up. Thunderbird
> works well with a IMAP server- we started with Thunderbird 0.8, and
> Washigton Uni IMAP server, now use Cyrus.

So is fetchmail the mail fetcher and the IMAP server?  Or is Cyprus the
IMAP server?

> Other options are Dovecot. It may be better not to use fetchmail. It
> works well enough but these days instantaneous emails being delivered is
> expected a bit more . That said, this would require putting your mail
> server in a Firewall DMZ and security hardening it. Which if you're
> trying to do all of this with one box isnt easily possible.

Yes, the budget is fairly limited and it's all got to run on one box,
though it will probably be a fairly decent spec one.

I can't really claim much cost saving by going for Linux as we have
Microsoft Action Pack already which contains most of the Windows based
stuff.

> The main differences are whether you want to use mbox, or maildir
> formats, ie whether  every email is stored as a file, or whether a
> folder in your email client is stored as a single file. Each has its
> pros and cons.

Can you elaborate please?  The vast majority of emails are text only (we
have HTML email disabled in Thunderbird by default) and have no
attachments.  Most are customer queries and replies so are relatively
disposable.

> Mail servers are still IMHO the most complicated to setup once you have
> added, Antispam, and/or antivirus. Adding either or both increases the
> complexity. Its a well trodden path though, and there are lots of good
> Howto guides out there. Spamassasin and Clam work excellently, but do
> need some setting up.
>
> If you have your antispam / AV done upstream its much easier, but
> riskier.

We have anti-spam upstream with SpamAssassin which works reasonably
well.  There is ClamAV on the web server but I am not sure whether it
scans all incoming mail or not so it would be good to scan it on the our
server if possible.  Not a big deal if not though as it gets scanned by
Eset NOD32 on the clients.

> mail backups are easy enough, mails are all files anyway in Linux .... ;-)

Good!  A previous company that I worked for used Exchange from their
data centre in Manchester for all sites in Europe.  It crashed and
trashed its mail stores, and it took over a week for them to get it all
back online and backups restored (Exchange has to rebuild every mailbox
as data is restored which is painfully slow).  This is why I have that
over-blown Microsoft solution so much!  Plus it's a resource hog.

> We use IPCop with various addons. It works ok, but there are odd
> annoyances sometimes. Dan's guardian may be worth looking at , or
> Smoothwall/Astaro if you want to pay money.

OK, I'll look at those.  We don't mind spending a bit of money for the
right products.

>> File sharing:  That's easy enough - Samba.  It needs to link into the
>> domain controller stuff though so it follows password changes.
>>
>> Intranet and development web server:  Easy, Apache with PHP and MySQL.
>>
> yepp. you have to setup samba users as well as linux users, but its all
> easy enough once you've worked it out.

The Intranet is read-only for users.  It is currently on the web server
in a password protected subdirectory of the company website and set as
the homepage on user's browsers.  It's just going to be moved to the
in-house server as nobody outside the office needs access to it.

>> Managing the whole thing:  Probably Webmin.  Remote access to this would
>> be very useful but that will probably be handled by VPN routers.
>>
> webmin is ok, and is the way we went to start with. But there is the
> possibility for some of the third party modules that they overwrite your
> own custom tweaks if not tested thoroughly. This was a few years ago
> though so it may have improved though ... Best to learn it yourself if
> possible - unless you've got other staff to train who dont want Linux

It is just me managing it but they will want to consider the "in event
of death" stuff and have something that someone else could take over.
There is nobody else IT literate in the company though so it'll have to
be someone external.  HLUG will be first port of call for them.  :)

>> Eset anti-virus management:  That will have to be done with Windows in
>> vmware (or virtualbox if I can get it to work).
>>
> Will have to be windows, but it may possibly work in WINE. WINE works
> pretty well with a lot of software nowaways.

The management is a service running on the server all the time plus a
GUI management client that is run when needed.  So I think it will need
to be a Windows server in vmware.

I also need to do some maintenance on a MIIS ASP-based website (yuck)
which uses some Windows DLLs and can't be got to run on Apache etc, so
that can live on the same virtual Windows server as the AV.  I have MIIS
running on a virtual Windows 2000 Server in vmware on my home Linux
server and it works fine.

The great thing is that I can just copy my vmware virtual machine across
to the work server and put the AV stuff on it.  The biggest issue will
probably be trying to buy another copy of Windows 2000 Server (second
hand) so we have a legit licence.

> tar is the star. There are a lot of tap backup still out there.

Simple Backup (which I think was a Ubuntu sponsored summer of code
project) is basically a front-end to tar.  It creates a tar file for
each backup together with index files to allow the restore part to
display the backup contents quickly.

I have restored files with it a few times and it works as expected.  I
haven't done a full restore yet though.

> many sys
> admins still like scripts with tar / SSH etc. I would consider using
> backing up to disk instead though these days with the abundance of disk
> based cheap disks around.

Big USB drives are certainly not expensive now.  Plus it's easier to
plug them into another system and access the data.  The ones I am using
for my home server backup are NTFS which Linux writes to fine and can be
plugged into a Windows box too.  7-Zip opens the tar files in Windows.

> Rsync works really well, extremely useful, and
> there are loads of utilities based around it. BackupPC is what I would
> recommend.

I'll look at BackupPC.

>> If I can do most of this with Linux I will probably go for Ubuntu Server
>> 8.04 LTS as that's what I'm familiar with.  CentOS is another possibility.
>>
> Ubuntu server is fine. There's not a great deal of difference really.
> Package Mgt is still better in Debian based systems though. Dont forget
> the Ubuntu server stuff isnt GUI based though. But there are some tools
> to help.

Ubuntu it is then.  Would you go with the 8.04 LTS version?  I see no
reason to go bleeding-edge with this and would rather it was stable and
kept working.  My home server uses 8.04.

> All of this can be done in Linux !! and work extremely well too !! But
> it can be intimidating and need some initial help. The great thing with
> using Linux here is the transparency and openness - backing up is easy
> with open formats - it gives you so many options and flexibility. You
> can do much more with your network too, with SSH and rsync utilities.
> even backing up over the net !
>
> Linux may be free, but there is a learning curve, it does/can cost money
> too and time. But you do get a system YOU control, with high levels of
> reliability and flexibility.

Fortunately I have a reasonable amount of time to get this sorted.  It
is needed as part of a move to a new office which is not likely to
happen until late summer.

> Please email me offlist if you would like to come and see our linux
> server setup at work.

I will do, thanks Julian.

Paul