[HLUG] Content filtering server, email server, domain controller

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed Feb 11 11:16:24 UTC 2009

Quoting Alex Mace <alex at hollytree.co.uk>:

> Archiving eh? Wonder why you'd need that... ;-)
>
> Alex
>
> On 11 Feb 2009, at 10:48, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
>
>> Paul Shurman wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> And yeah we are at the moment having a long hard think about a new
>>> ISP
>> and
>>> an upstream managed anti virus solution :-)
>>
>> If you have an older box lying around check out SpamTitan
>> http://www.spamtitan.com, we use it at work and I have an old box at
>> home and it works really well.  For archival reasons at work we are
>> moving to Mimecast managed service http://www.mimecast.com, though
>> another one we nearly went with was ICritical http://
>> www.icritical.com,
>> which is a halfway house between managed and hosted service, and
>> provides a web filtering service as well.
>>
>> I would be interested to see which way you go, as I take an interest
>> in
>> mail scanning products like this.

I've found that Exim4, clamav and spamassassin are an excellent combination.

Exim will allow you to do just about anything you want with your
emails from simple relaying to storing a copy of each message
including it's content into a database for archive purposes (it will
also archive to disk and this is much easier!).

ClamAV (as long as it's installed from volatile if you're using
Debian!) seems to pick up most viruses pretty quickly and would also
allow you to scan on demand from SAMBA _and_ SQUID if they're
installed on the same system.

Spamassassin is brilliant.  I started running it on an email server
that has a large amount of spam being sent to it each day (both
original and backscatter) and the amount of SPAM I was receiving went
from every other message (sometimes a couple of hundred every day) to
less than one percent of all email.

My current server at home runs LAMP, LDAP, Exim and Cyrus as well as
other packages without issue for a small user base including a couple
of websites.  It is an old HP Laptop with 186MB RAM and a 2.4GHz CPU,
so you could quite easily purchase and install an email/spam/av server
for less than £100.

M.
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace