[HLUG] Content filtering server, email server, domain controller

Paul Shurman paul.shurman at q-par.com
Wed Feb 11 11:45:31 UTC 2009

Mark Broadbent wrote:
> 2009/2/11 Paul Shurman <paul.shurman at q-par.com>:
>
>> Hence thats why we use maildir here :-)
>>

> Good choice :-)
>

>> And yeah we are at the moment having a long hard think about a new ISP and
>> an upstream managed anti virus solution :-)
>>
>> I'm not sure if we would remove alot of our current levels of protection as
>> the clamscans don't impact that much on performance of our boxes.
>>
>> But can never complain about an extra layer of protection 8-)
>>

> Well, if it's already there and configured there's no reason to remove
> it, plus your scanning load will drop because of the reducing mail
> that is receive once you move to a managed solution.  So the same
> hardware will scale much further than before. :-)
>
> Cheers
> Mark

That is a fair point, and messagelabs is a name that im very keen in using.
Bascially at the moment our external email is hosted elsewhere and we use
fetchmail to poll once every 7 minutes or so and pull the mails down.
It has worked fairly well over the years, but i am looking to get a
little bit more
hands on and take control of incoming mail, so am looking into building our
own hosted mail server for that purpose.

Currently our mails get scanned by something called rozmic email
cloud...which has been
a bit of a pain for holding onto emails and giving them a high spam
scoring etc, also
tied in with whatever AV solution our mail provider has.

Then we have clamscan on our firewall and spam scanning whihch will
quarantine as
needed then clam runs our on internal mail server every evening.

Firewall solution is IPCOP however as we use several third party addons
like copfilter
and adproxy we have found that some version conflict with each other and
break and
the developers are not keen to help unless you start to throw money in
there direction.

So we are looking into migrating to a new solution called untangle
http://www.untangle.com/
which i am going to look into today and compare with our current IPCOP
solution.

It's very polished...if you don't already know about it, definitely
check it out open source of course
with the option to take on support if needed.

We update you once ive had a play :-)

--
Kind Regards,
Paul Shurman