[HLUG] Untangle (WAS Re: Content filtering server, email server, domain controller)

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed Feb 11 21:33:08 UTC 2009

Quoting Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk>:
> Quoting Paul Shurman <paul.shurman at q-par.com>:
>
>> So we are looking into migrating to a new solution called untangle
>> http://www.untangle.com/
>> which i am going to look into today and compare with our current IPCOP
>> solution.
>>
>> It's very polished...if you don't already know about it, definitely
>> check it out open source of course
>> with the option to take on support if needed.
>
> I'll investigate further, but so far a minimal Linux install with
> Shorewall is looking good... :o)

OK, a quick review of Untangle now that it's installed (bear in mind
that this is purely based on the initial install and configuration and
playing with it inside a VM for five minutes, but it might interest
some of you):

-ves
1) HW Spec
2) Compulsory registration
3) Based on Debian Sarge (nearly 2 versions behind) and appears to
install Knoppix to the HDD.
4) Many GUI tools installed including X11 and XFCE4 - is this required
on a firewall/appliance?
5) Once base system is installed, applications must be installed over
the internet from an "account", when installed in a VM, this doesn't
appear to work!

+ves
1) Nice interface
2) ummm, nope, that's it...

I'm going to run this up on a dev system over the next few days, I'll
probably report back after that.

M.
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace