[HLUG] Document management/publishing website suggestions

Paul Stenning paul at vintage-radio.com
Thu Feb 26 16:06:15 UTC 2009

Can anyone give me some pointers please?

A client has asked me to quote for a website with the following
requirements:

    1. A membership system where members are set up by the admin. There
will be about 10-12 members.
    2. Members can upload documents as PDF files together with a typed
abstract/summary. They can be put in one of several predefined categories.
    3. Newly uploaded documents require approval by three other members.
    4. Once approved the document together with the abstract, author
details etc are available on the website for anyone to download.
    5. Any changes to the document require the approval process to be
repeated. Until that is completed the old version remains available.
    6. A mailing list system which automatically emails visitors who
have registered whenever a new document is published. Also emails to
members when a new document is uploaded.
    7. PHP/MySQL based preferred (will be on an Apache server so no ASP!).

Does anyone have any suggestions for existing software that can do at
least some of this? It would need some sort of template system to
customise the look-and-feel. Free open source is preferred of course,
but if it needs to be commercial then that's OK.

I'm not looking for someone to create this from scratch for me. However
if you already have something that does most of what I need and can be
adapted then I'd be interested in discussing it.

If there's nothing suitable out there then I'll create it myself,
probably as extensions to a CMS like Website Baker.

Ohh, it all needs to be done by the end of May...

Thanks!
Paul