[HLUG] Document management/publishing website suggestions

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 26 20:03:11 UTC 2009

Paul Stenning wrote:
> Can anyone give me some pointers please?

As you could do it all in Plone. Please email me offlist you you want to
discuss in more depth. I might be able to help for a small fee ;-)
> A client has asked me to quote for a website with the following
> requirements:
>
>     1. A membership system where members are set up by the admin. There
> will be about 10-12 members.
>     2. Members can upload documents as PDF files together with a typed
> abstract/summary. They can be put in one of several predefined categories.
>     3. Newly uploaded documents require approval by three other members.
>     4. Once approved the document together with the abstract, author
> details etc are available on the website for anyone to download.
>     5. Any changes to the document require the approval process to be
> repeated. Until that is completed the old version remains available.
>     6. A mailing list system which automatically emails visitors who
> have registered whenever a new document is published. Also emails to
> members when a new document is uploaded.
>     7. PHP/MySQL based preferred (will be on an Apache server so no ASP!).

But of course its Python based rather than PHP/MYSQL.

But its all doing out of the box more or less, the emails too. (plone 3
has a nice means to create triggers that will send mails on different
actions).
> Does anyone have any suggestions for existing software that can do at
> least some of this? It would need some sort of template system to
> customise the look-and-feel. Free open source is preferred of course,
> but if it needs to be commercial then that's OK.

Plone = Completely open source.
> I'm not looking for someone to create this from scratch for me. However
> if you already have something that does most of what I need and can be
> adapted then I'd be interested in discussing it.

Also, joomla and Docman may be able to do some of this.
> If there's nothing suitable out there then I'll create it myself,
> probably as extensions to a CMS like Website Baker.
>
> Ohh, it all needs to be done by the end of May...
>
> Thanks!
> Paul

Cheers