[HLUG] Open source intranet?

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 8 12:35:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 09:25:57 +0000, "Matthew Macdonald-Wallace"
<matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk> said:
> Quoting Julian Robbins <joolsr at fastmail.fm>:
>
> > Morven Lewis-Everley wrote:
> >> Anyone here have an office intranet using open source software?
> >>
> >> I have read Plone is good, does anyone have any experience using this for an
> >> intranet?
> >>
> > Hi Morven
> >
> > Happy new Year!
> >
> > I use Plone www.plone.org for our main company website, www.q-par.com
> >
> > I am quite a fan, with Plone you can do anything, well almost, and its
> > very different to Joomla.
> <snip style="huge" />
>
> /me thinks it might be worth him looking at plone again...

It is a great system, with immense power; its really quite unlike
joomla, although you can create small websites in it too if you want.

The only real major headache with Plone is upgrades .... but then that
is an issue with Joomla, Drupal too.

The plone community is also pretty good. mailing lists, forums, and IRC
are all popular.

There was even a Plone for NGO's conference I went to, (ie non profit
making organisations,) a couple of years back, that Oxfam UK hosted.
Really rather good, and totally free. Oxfam are big users of it. Think
of the problems with internationalising your site and pulling in content
from everywhere - Plone can do it and do it well. In fact Oxfam
sponsored the development of the internationalisation layer a few years
back, and duncan booth @ Oxfam still works on kupu, the Plone HTML
editor.

Plone team aren't so good at promoting Plone, and obviously the hosting
isnt as straightforward as joomla PHP/MySQL hosting. That said, if you
have your own server its ok anyway, and people like Openia.com, Pale
Purple (in the Midlands), can help. I thinkOpenia.com may still be doing
their free Plone hosting for small sites - mention to them if interested
that I mentioned it here.

Julian