[HLUG] New HLUG website re-incarnation

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 11 23:30:13 UTC 2009

Hi

After waiting nearly two months without hearing a dickiebird from our
web hosts at lug.org.uk, I decided to use a nasty 0 second redirect on
our 'site' at herefordshire.lug.org.uk to redirect immediately to our
new web server space kindly donated by Paul, and set up by Mark.

I'm sorry its taken so long, and would wish that things can move faster,
but at least we have a site that can take shape and form a worthwhile
addition to Linux and Open Source in the area.

There's little on it as yet, but if you visit herefordshire.lug.org.uk,
you can see the rudiments. Its a Drupal site, with blogging facilities,
polls, posts and stories, a bit 'no frills' currently.

However long it takes lug.org.uk to get our dns change to our server, is
now not so much an issue.

I hope, we can discuss building up our HLUG website at the next meeting,
which is our January one on the 3rd Weds of the month (as usual), on the
21st January (details on the website).

I am also contemplating, whether we should call ourselves the
Herefordshire Linux and Open Source User Group, instead of just Linux
User Group.

Its a bit of a mouthful, but these days, Open Source as a whole, perhaps
is more newsworthy than Linux, and many beginners to Linux start off
with Open Source applications on Windows, like Firefox and Openoffice
for example. I personally don't mind whatever platform people use
(although I strongly advocate Linux of cause ;-) ), and think that
whatever we can do to widen our appeal and user base is a good thing.

As such, that is the title on the website for now, but all comments, and
suggestions for perhaps a good acronym, are welcomed ... (HOSALUG ....
HLOSUG ... ??!! ) :-)