[HLUG] January Linux User Group Meeting - Burghill Simpson Hall Weds 19ths

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 22 01:18:03 UTC 2009

Paul Stenning wrote:
> Well I tried to attend but couldn't find the place.  The directions here
> http://tinyurl.com/6ba3g5 stop mid-way between some houses and the
> nursing home and "in the centre of the village" is no help either.

Hi Paul

I'm sorry you couldn't find us. To be honest driving around
Herefordshire lanes which have little or no signposts in a spread out
village like Burghill is a bit of a challenge sometimes.

I did originally have a better map with a preferred route marked on it
but so far haven't found how to include images in posts on Drupal on our
new website (Marks only just added the use of images ).

Also, Burghill CAP is a decent venue, warm, with good wifi not far from
Hereford, but it doesnt lend itself to any particular landmarks. Before
we got your mail, (at about 9pm, to late to 'talk you in'), we discussed
how people found it, many of us had got a least a little lost, or missed
a turning.

I had the same when I used to occasionally attend the Shropshire LUG
meetings (before HLUG was started). I drove a whole hour to get to
Telford via the awful B roads from Ludlow most of the way, and got to
the College of Art where the meetings where normally held. But could I
find our meeting room - it had been moved without any sign on the door
of the usual room? No, after an hour of fruitless searching around a
large site like a college I gave up,   grrr   .....

The simplest route from Hereford is to follow the old Tillington road,
then turn sharp right back on yourself and within 100 yds you're at the
Simpson Hall. But this turn right has absolutely no roadsigns, landmarks
to help you with. Once you know the route its quite straightforward though.

I will post a better map to the hall on the website; but equally when
driving around in the dark, with roads with no signs, a written map
isn't always that much extra use either.

Julian