[HLUG] Image wont open

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 3 01:37:52 UTC 2009

dicegeorge at hotmail dot com wrote:
> A lady at Pudlston CAP asked me to help with her images which she cant open,
> she said there had been some kind of virus
> but was a bit unsure about what had happened.
>
> Perhaps she's lost years' of work..
>
> I tried to open in in Paint and Gimp and notepad but failed,
> so i've uploaded it here:
> http://www.dicegeorge.com/psb/psb-temp/img
> as:
> http://www.dicegeorge.com/psb/psb-temp/img-wont-open.jpg

It looks like they've got heavily messed up for want of a better answer.

Sorry, just fell asleep earlier, and just reawaoken really late. ;-)

you could try 'recoverjpeg' http://freshmeat.net/projects/recoverjpeg/

sudo apt-get install recoverjpeg on Ubuntu/Xandros/Debian

But I tried it already and it didnt help.

Sounds like you may be better running this app against the whole
filesystem instead, ie on her full HDD, as it probably is as the pics
are there to some extent but the filesystem haeders are incorrect/got moved.

Hope this helps,

I'm off to bed ;-~

Julian

PS ask her if she wants an Ubuntu CD to at least stop it happening again
.... I have loads