[HLUG] CMS suggestion - specific issue

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Wed May 6 13:37:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, 05 May 2009 22:26 +0100, "Paul Stenning"
<paul at vintage-radio.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking to move two websites from static pages to CMS.  However the
> sites have good Google placings and I do not want to break all the
> existing URLs.
>
> I am looking for a CMS which lets the user specify the URL separately to
> the menu structure to the page, and also doesn't require them all to be
> within a pages/ directory.  So that I could specify that the About Us
> page URL is www.domain.com/about.php and it accepts that (as long as it
> doesn't clash with some other existing file).

As usual, Plone, www.plone.org could handle all this. there is also an
extra addon Product that gives you even more control over SEO options,
etc. With plone, you can give pages whatever url you like, it doesnt
matter where they are in the page structure. Its very flexible, and
always gives great SEO performance out of the box.

> Apart from that, I need something where the templates are basically PHP
> files with bits added for the CMS content, and the content stored in a
> MySQL database.

Well, this is the downside, obviously, Plone doesnt use PHP, it uses
Zope and Python, and the ZODB its own database backend.

Templating isn't easy either, but very flexible, just like the whole on
plone.

Its worth at least playing with plone - just to see what it can do.
There is a quick Windows installer, where you just run an exe, but
installing on Linux or mac isnt too hard either.

Please give me a shout if you want any help.

Julian