[HLUG] education related software for ISFD

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 2 20:19:34 UTC 2010

Hello Julian,

On 02/08/10 21:06, Julian Robbins wrote:
> Moodle. Its a web based teaching system to arrnage your whole curriculum.
> Supposed to be excellent and used by quite a few schools/uni's already.

In fact the last figure I had was more than 50% of FE colleges
 - though it's also been used successfully in primary schools.

> Dont forget though that with schools the issue is muddied a bit by having to
> use software that works with the national curriculum. Although BECTA was
> quite keen on OSS, they will be know more soon

BECTA actually campaigned quite hard against Free Software throughout
its entire existence, although it occasionally turned up at FOSS in
Education events, and put out reports suggesting that FOSS might not be
the Devil's spawn.

Now that BECTA, & BSF, has gone there's a real chance of positive change
and an end to £1,000,000,000 a year of UK schools IT budget down the
drain :-)

 - Richard