[HLUG] education related software for ISFD

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 3 11:55:57 UTC 2010

Hello Julian,

On 02/08/10 22:33, Julian Robbins wrote:
> and this one also in TES online
> http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6052462 *Hundreds of millions of
> pounds are spent on ICT equipment every year, but there is growing evidence
> that school cupboards are brimming with unused and obsolete kit that should
> never have been bought in the first place. Nick Morrison reports*
>
> Open source could help apps run on more limited hardware ...

The 100s of £millions spent on (proprietary) software is
baffling.

For 3 to 5 million, we could pay UK coders to write web-based
FOSS to cover every area of the curriculum for 2 to 18yr olds.

This could be used by schools on recycled LTSP netowrks, on
Macs and old Windows PCs, even on pupil's smart phones or iPads.

It would create a great fillip for the UK software community, too -
and money saved could go to double school SysAdmin wages so that
they could employ *nix admins ;-)

> worth adding to your notes, always nice to quote relevant, up to date news
> items  .... open source could help here ...

Cheers,

  -Richard