[HLUG] SFD files - feedback

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 07:45:02 UTC 2010

On 2 August 2010 09:39, info at lifespacedesign.co.uk <
info at lifespacedesign.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback, I'm a big boy now so I'm not at all bothered by
> criticism.
> I knocked these up for exactly this purpose. The dpi settings are low to
> keep
> the file size down for sharing; all this can be reset in the final version.

Hi Pete

I never got round to giving feedback re design for A4 Flyer. I do quite a
bit of graphic design work at work, and have learnt a bit from our guy who
really does know his stuff.

So here goes :-

   1. Headings dont quite look right. I think its the offset for 'Software
   Freedom day' that doesnt woork next to the date (centered) underneath.
   2. Date shoudl be in a point or two size lower. You should always try to
   make sure that what you really want to say has most prominence, then sub
   headings are a bit smaller . The date is important, but SFD should have
   prominence over it
   3. the Celebrate, Create and Share is good, but they dont quite line up
   equidistantly. As each point is of same importance, I think they should all
   start at same point across the point, rather than being staggered.
   4. Spacing between the para starting 'Open Source Software is free from
   restriction' etc, and para below should be increaed. Space is really
   important to let the words breath and add clarity
   5. Perhaps we should use one of the really good open source fonts rather
   than Arial, fonts carry more weight than you imagine and give the whole doc
   a gloss. Try Liberation Sans perhaps ?
   6. Bottom para to right of SFD logo may be better as Left Justified.
   7. We use a device where the type of doc is always on the right hand side
   vertical, at 60 pt. But it helps brand and classify what the type of file
   is. May be we could use something like this ...

I hope this doesn't sound too critical, and we would all design this
differently anyway.

The content, words and logos are excellent, far better than i could manage.

I havent had a proper look at the other docs as yet

Julian