[HLUG] Gnucash

Paul Stenning paul at sp-tech.co.uk
Thu Aug 5 15:34:24 UTC 2010

I am looking for a new accounts program for my self-employed business
and Gnucash was on my list to check.  I'm a bit concerned abouyt the
comment on exportying data though as that's the major issue I have with
my current software (QuickBooks SimpleStart 2008).

All I need to do is record payments and receipts, allocate them to
categories, and in a few cases split them between categories.  Then my
accountant wants the full accounts (all transactions) as a spreadsheet
or CSV file, plus ideally reports by category, profit and loss etc.

Many packages seem over-complicated and confusing with multiple accounts
and options etc.  I don't understand or care about the details (that's
what I pay an accountant for), I just want to record the transactions
with minimal fuss!

Would Gnucash do the job?  Anything else (preferably open source) I
should look at?  I'm using Windows XP but also have a couple of Linux
Virtual PCs in VirtualBox.

Paul