[HLUG] Just been playing with Amazon EC2

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 12:10:55 UTC 2010

On 14 July 2010 09:56, Malcolm Herbert <mherbert at redhat.com> wrote:

> > Just be aware of the cost issues, I worked out that it would cost
> > around $62 per month for a basic VPS with nothing running on it.
> >
> > There are many other companies out there with Instant setup that will
> > give you a VPS for much less than that... :)
>
> Linode now host in Docklands and come in around $19.00 a month. I'm
> running F10, but plenty of options
>
> EC2 is good for those wanting emerging cloud like functionality, with
> burst/elastic capacities

Yes good points. I also once used Slicehost which I quite liked, but believe
its been bought out now.

Still, EC2 is great for getting up and running quickly, and scaling.

Also, I was somewhat surprised to be able to use Windows Servers, including
SQL, I guess the Licence fee is included. Useful if you need to do a quick
win server job, and dont really want to buy a full licence ..