[HLUG] just upgraded to 2.2 Froyo on my samsung Galaxy !

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 23:15:01 UTC 2010

Hi

Well i didnt really know what i was doing, and had to upgrade the harder way
using VirtualBox to run Windows to run KIES the samsung firmware upgrade
software on my phone.

It didnt go well. I didnt think I had 'bricked it', but spent 1/2 an hour
trying to work out how to get it back on. Instead I found yet another post,
http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/samsung-galaxy-s-updates/how-to-get-the-official-firmware-now/(about
half way down) but with much more full info. Although I didnt do some
of the bits they said to do with running VB as root as using regedit, I
still somehow managed to get my phone to then continue its firmware upgrade
... and it worked !! phew !

So the upshot - I'm now running Android linux 2.6.32.9 ie 2.2 and its a lot
faster ...

See you tomorrow at the meeting