[HLUG] bandwidth logging

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 20:47:26 UTC 2010

On 12 October 2010 21:00, Andreas T. Ege <andreas at spheniscid.net> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> since I moved to Shobdon I apparently have a problem with the amount of
> data going over my broadband connection. I'm with BT, 10GB included per
> month. Besides the connection speed is fluctuating quite strong betwenn 1
> and 9 Mbit/sec, up to 48 at times, I had one mail from BT claiming I'd used
> 9 Gig, last month they say it was 18 Gig, and for October up to now 7.
> When I was still in Kington I never got mails like that, and I definetely
> never went over the 10 Gig. The set up then was virtually the same as now:
> a desktop with first Gentoo, then (and now) Kubuntu mainly, rarely Win 2000
> at first, then Win 7;
> a laptop with Win 7 (only used one or two months in Kington, though, before
> that laptop with Win XP);
> and an Iphone.

Hi Andreas

Just a few feet up the road I get a max connection of 3.5MB/s in Shobdon,
and with a line length of at least 3km to Kingsland exchange  i suspect that
3.5-4MB/s is close to the theoretical max to can get in the village

> Connection speed in Kington was much higher, close to 58Mbit/sec most of
> the time, and usage of the computers hasn't changed.
> On the usage side the only suspicions are a) Win7 updates, and b) using
> get_iplayer to download films/ radio programs from BBC. The problem I got
> with downloading BBC stuff is, that now I very often need 3 or 4 tries till
> somethings downloaded completely, though get_iplayer claims to have
> downloaded everything, but the actual file size is variably (between like 5%
> to 95% of supposed file size) smaller then it should be. It worked fairly
> well for a few weeks in between, but got worse again.
>

> What I mainly don't understand is, that with broadband speeds of more then
> 10times of what I got now, I didn't manage to get more 10Gig data transfer
> in Kington, how do I manage with basically now different computer/ internet
> usage do up to twice the data transfer?

Perhaps you could set up some kind of web proxy to monitor outgoing incoming
traffic much more finely, and if necessary a means of controlling it. IPciop
has lots of graphs of network load, throughput in and out for example.

> So, to my questions:
> a) has anybody made similar experiences with BT (or any other provider, for
> that matter)?
> b) how do I get bandwidthd to start after the network interface (wlan0)?
> c) how do I tell bandwidthd to keep its protocols at shutdown/ restart?
>
> I just see, that over like the last 15min I got TCP traffic of 9.7M. How do
> I figure out where that's coming from?--

Does seem an odd one. But then these days, so many services are being used
without us knowing. I guess you havent got any Peer to Peer services running
that could be using up your bandwidth ?

Julian

Roseville Terr,
Shobdon