[HLUG] October meeting

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Sun Oct 31 19:05:22 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 18:45 +0000, info at lifespacedesign.co.uk wrote:
> Our October meeting, again at the Point4 in Venns Lane Hereford, was the best
> turn out for some time, despite the absence of many regulars ( including our
> Lugmaster!). It was a great buzz to see so many new faces, and to find such a
> wealth of talent and wide range of interests and experiences, from hard core
> Unix sysadmin to customer facing IT support professionals, both paid and
> volunteer!

Shame I missed it! Hope to make the November meeting, which reminds me -
are we going to try and organise a Christmas bash this year? (Not
volunteering - don't have the time, sorry, but just a thought... :P )

> Some of the topics discussed during the meeting -
> It is always a pleasure to welcome members of other LUGS that chance brings to
> our gatherings, in this case Andrew from Gloucester brought his extensive
> experience of hardcore infrastructure admin.

Bugger, could have done with talking to a fellow SysAd about a few
issues I'm seeing at the moment that Puppet/Cobbler just won't resolve -
Automating MySQL Replication is just the start of my issues at the
moment... :(

> A discussion of the Android mobile phone came to an agreement that they are
> technically great but too expensive :-(

T-Mobile Pulse-Mini - great little phone (just bought one for my wife) -
free on contract @ £15 pcm including 300 minutes free calls, unlimited
SMS and 'unlimited' internet (I've yet to find out what T-Mobile
classify as 'unlimited', however as I sometimes stream on-line radios to
my mobile via stitcher.com and haven't been charged I'd imagine it's
generous!) - Easy to replace the firmware with your own from MoDaCo and
works like a dream, although I don't know if you can install Angry Birds
on it (yet)... ;)

> Pete H@

Thanks for the write-up Pete, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
http://www.threedrunkensysadsonthe.net/