[HLUG] New Member - Introduction

Fleming mail at fleming41.me.uk
Sat Mar 12 21:41:40 UTC 2011

Hello,
I've been playing with Linux off and on for a couple of years, but start
from a very low base in terms of computing expertise.  I have Ubuntu
10.04 dual boot installed with Windows XP on my desktop PC.  I also have
Puppy Linux 5.11 dual boot installed on my aging Sony Vaio PCG-FX109K
(Pentium III, 512 RAM, 80 GB HDD).  I want to use the Sony machine to
learn more about Linux.  Unfortunately, Puppy Linux is the only distro I
can get to run properly on the Sony machine.  So far, all my attempts to
sort out problems with the screen resolution and refresh rate when
trying to run distros from Live CD like Damn Small Linux, TinyCore,
Lubuntu, etc. have failed.  So one of my reasons for joining HLUG is to
find out how to fix these problems on this Sony computer.

I have retired from gainful employment and have other interests I am
trying to pursue, including flying radio controlled model gliders and
using a music synthesiser to provide computer generated accompaniments
for a local small choir which does not have a pianist.   I have lived in
Kingstone for about 11 years, with my wife and 1-2 cats (one decided to
go AWAL, so we are waiting to see it it will come back!).

Diary permitting I hope to join you at the Open Source Event on 26th
March and at your next meeting.
Regards
Bill Fleming