[HLUG] Partition problem with multiple distros

tom_poole at tiscali.co.uk tom_poole at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 20:02:52 UTC 2011

Hi Paul,
I don't know if it will help, but have you seen the April 2011
issue of LinuxFormat (LX143)? There's an article on installing two
distros. Admittedly they installed on a virtual drive using virtualbox,
butr I assume that the principle would be same for a real hard disk.

I've had trouble installing Ubuntu onto a drive that had FAT32 and ext3
partitions. I found the answer was to remove the ext3 partition so that
there was only FAT and unassigned space. Ubuntu installer ignored the
FAT partition and created a new ext3 partition in the unused area.

Needless to say, back-up the HDD before trying it, just in case it
doesn't work.
Hope this helps.

One day I will get to a meeting.

Regards
Tom Poole

<herefordshire at mailman.lug.org.uk>
>Subj: [HLUG] Partition problem with
multiple distros

>Hi all,
>
>I am trying to install several different
distros on one PC for our
>document freedom day event at the end of
the month and have encountered
>a serious problem.
>
>So far I have
installed OpenSUSE, Fedora and PCLinuxOS, giving each a
>10GB ext4
partition as well as having a shared 2GB swap partition.  All
>works
fine and the initial PCLinuxOS GRUB menu shows the three available

>distros, and they all run OK.
>
>However if I try to install Mint or
Ubuntu the partitioner thinks the
>hard disk is all unallocated and
does not show any of the existing
>partitions.  Gparted in both
distros is the same.

>What has gone wrong and what can I do to make
the partitions visible to
>Mint and Ubuntu installers without breaking
what I already have?

>Thanks,
>Paul
>
>--