[HLUG] Hoss awards & last minute stuff

Sarah Chard sarah at streetentertainers.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 15:20:45 UTC 2011

The Open Source Day is now only a few days away

For those of you who have committed to attending and are bringing a
machine please let Steve have a completed form ASAP so that we have nice
looking labels next to each laptop/PC so the public know what distro(s)
are running, the main software that is loaded  & and also what the spec
is. It only takes a couple of minutes but will really help with
presentation on the day.
here's the template link -if you missed Steve's email -
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BzDdNhpiTuSwOWQ4Y2NlMmEtMDhiNy00MTA5LTkwMjgtMTUxZTJlMDg4MGQ2&hl=en_GB&authkey=CJfjlEg
and don't forget to have at least Open Office/Libre Office and a couple
of the other word processing and spreadsheet programs running so we can
demo the open doc standards (see PP for more details)

If you are thinking of coming at some point during the day but haven't
yet decided, you might like to come  and have lunch in the cafe (it's
good food) - as between 1:30pm - 2:30pm is when we will be announcing
the HOSS award winners - the Mayor of Hereford (yes she is attending the
event) will be presenting them at approx 1:45pm and then Dr Mark Wright
will be speaking at 2pm - so it would be good to have a crowd for that
and Dr Wright's talk should be very interesting for all of us.

Members of the ICT web team from Hereford Council have said they will be
present on the day and are interested in feedback from Linux and Open
Source Users about what they want to see from the council, so it's a
great opportunity to talk about open source with them.

We are also expecting a range of people from the business community, the
voluntary sector, education as well as general users who are interested
in finding out more about Open Source and Linux - this is our chance to
talk to them and promote FOSS in a positive way. On SFD we were busy
virtually all day and we are expecting this event to be the same so if
you want to come along and help you will be most welcome - all levels of
knowledge & experience are needed as we get a whole range of people
coming in with some really diverse questions so come and join us ( if
you are bringing a machine don't forget to fill in a label and email it
to Steve - it's not compulsory but it helps!)
If you can spare a couple of hours you know where we will be.

--
Sarah

March 26 - http://piratepad.net/hQ3RVGdvKc