[HLUG] New Member - Introduction - screen problem

Sarah Chard sarah at streetentertainers.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 13:13:04 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 21:35 +0000, Fleming wrote:

> I want to use the Sony machine to
> learn more about Linux.  Unfortunately, Puppy Linux is the only distro
> can get to run properly on the Sony machine.  So far, all my attempts
> sort out problems with the screen resolution and refresh rate when
> trying to run distros from Live CD like Damn Small Linux, TinyCore,
> Lubuntu, etc. have failed.  So one of my reasons for joining HLUG is
> find out how to fix these problems on this Sony computer.

Bill
i couldn't find the post about screen resolutions I told you about at
the meeting but I checked my old notes as I had exactly this problem in
Ubuntu Hardy - the problem was my graphics card which is a sis Mirage
661/741/760 - i could only view in low graphics 600 x 800 and had
terrible flickering lines which sounds the same as your problem (and
geoffs as well?).

I finally solved the problem by
using
gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and adding under video device the line
driver "vesa"

this  stopped the flicker on the screen and allowed me to move to a
decent resolution
I have no idea if this would still work with Karmic  as things have
moved on a lot since hardy or what you would need to do with Damn Small
Linux or TinyCore
hopefully one of our more technical members will step in and point you
in the right direction
hope you solve the problem
Sarah