[HLUG] kubuntu 11.10

Andreas T. Ege andreas at spheniscid.net
Fri Nov 11 21:13:27 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I finally made the step to upgrade to kubuntu 11.10, and got it working
without too many problems.
I had to remove knetworkmanager again, to get my internet work reliably,
which was a pain because by now it's been so integrated in kde (don't
know if by kubuntu or kde), that removing it tried to remove almost all
kde-components.

Now I still get a few glitches, at least in my opinion. I found out,
that the update had installed various gnome programs I've never had
installed before, like banshee and brasero. That's where it gets funny,
because according to aptitude, brasero isn't installed at all, or it is,
depending on how I search for it:
spheniscid at spheniscid-desktop:~$ aptitude search bras
p   brasero                  - CD/DVD burning application for GNOME

p   brasero-cdrkit         - cdrkit extensions for the Brasero burning
application
i A brasero-common    - Gemeinsame Dateien für das CD/DVD-Brennprogramm
Brasero und dessen
p   libbrasero-media3-1   - CD/DVD burning library for GNOME - runtime

p   libbrasero-media3-dev  - CD/DVD burning library for GNOME -
development
[...]
and now it suddenly is installed:
spheniscid at spheniscid-desktop:~$ aptitude search brasero
i A brasero                          - CD-/DVD-Brennprogramm für GNOME

i A brasero-cdrkit                - Cdrkit-Erweiterungen für das
CD/DVD-Brennprogramm Brasero
i A brasero-common           - Gemeinsame Dateien für das
CD/DVD-Brennprogramm Brasero und dessen
i A libbrasero-media3-1      - GNOME-Bibliothek für das Brennen von
CDs/DVDs (Gemeinsam genutzte B
p   libbrasero-media3-dev  - GNOME-Bibliothek für das Brennen von
CDs/DVDs (Entwicklungsdateien)

Well, no problem, I know it's installed, because it runs if I click on
the menu button, so I can remove it.
But there are two things I wonder. a) why did the upgrade install gnome
software I hadn't had before, without other software depending on it in
an obvious way?
and b) why does it show up as not installed in aptitude if I use part of
the name, but as installed if I use the complete name?

--
Andreas Ege

		24 The Birches
                 Shobdon