[HLUG] BIOS changes

Pete Linnell info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Sat Oct 1 19:35:33 UTC 2011

Hi Gordon,
Many thanks for this valuable contribution! May I humbly suggest it gets
field tested among some total non geeks before adding it into documentation.
One thing Tuxedu project is doing for all of us is challenging our
assumptions, especially about what others consider easy/hard.

It may be worth adding Heather's line "It's not difficult, but you do
need to know what to do".

The directions and possible outcomes as written are excellent, but like
SC, this is something I am doing on a routine basis!

Pete H@

On 01/10/11 10:51, Gordon Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
> I know changing the BIOS settings terrifies most computer users.
> I have written an instruction manual covering most of the likely
> scenarios.
> I have attached it in pdf format for you to have a look at.
> Hope it might be useful and I am quite happy to make any suggested
> changes to it.
> Best Regards
>

> On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 18:53 +0100, Sarah Chard wrote:
>> yes if they are not running you need to change the boot order in the
>> bios
>> - I have no fear of changing the boot order for CD's and USB's after all
>> the school machines we have had to boot up -
>>
>> this is actually an issue that we cannot overcome for new users - I am
>> sure Geoff will not have a problem but for parents and teachers who
>> don't  know what bios or boot order is it is quite a stumbling block -
>> we have provided some documentation here
>> http://tuxedu.org.uk/downloads/
>>
>> which uses mainly wording from the ubuntu documentation but if anyone
>> has any ideas of a clearer way to describe how to change the boot order
>> please let us know - we were thinking along the lines of a how-to boot
>> Tuxedu video

Lifespacedesign offers a bespoke energy evaluation for all types of property

Pete Linnell M.Sc. (Dist) Architecture:Advanced Environment and Energy Studies.