[HLUG] New Tuxedu version uploaded

Tony Sales tony.sales at rncb.ac.uk
Mon Oct 3 08:24:21 UTC 2011

Hi, the new versions of tuxedo are now available for download at http://tuxedu.org.uk they are still called tuxedo.iso and tuxedo-install.iso.

Tony.

-----Original Message-----
From: herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk [mailto:herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Tony Sales
Sent: 02 October 2011 16:52
To: Herefordshire Linux Users Group.
Subject: Re: [HLUG] tuixedu noots

It would be good - nice idea. But in order for this to work the original iso would have to be available - you cannot burn a CD from a Live CD that is running - same with a running USB pendrive. Secondly you would need to identify the drive or device you are sending it to - so we can't just assume it would be /dev/cdrom or /dev/sdb etc. So it couldn't just be a one button click - you would have to at least locate the iso image you want to use, then specify the device you want to write it to. These would also be different processes for CD's and USB's - one would use wodim or another CD burning app, the other would have to use unetbootin or something similar. It is possible to write the debian version of tuxedu straight to a usb drive using 'dd' as it is a hybrid image, but this would take a long time and completely override the existing date etc - leaving the remaining space unusable. So if an application that asks you for the location of the iso and the cd drive/usb pendrive is enough - this can be done - in fact I have already written bash/zenity scripts to do this for Vinux... We could just add Unetbootin to the Lubuntu version, as it already has CD burning software - the Debian version would not allow someone to write an image to a USB pendrive as it requires root access.