[HLUG] Tuxedu Prototypes Finished!

Tony Sales tony.sales at rncb.ac.uk
Mon Sep 12 09:02:03 UTC 2011

Isos are also now available from here: http://vinux.org.uk/tuxedu/downloads/
From: herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk [herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] on behalf of Tony Sales [tony.sales at rncb.ac.uk]
Sent: 12 September 2011 09:08
To: Herefordshire Linux Users Group.
Subject: Re: [HLUG] Tuxedu Prototypes Finished!

You can get the new isos from here: http://tuxedu.org.uk/downloads/ - please check the md5sum before burning/testing. I will update the website later.

Tony.
From: herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk [herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] on behalf of Tony Sales [tony.sales at rncb.ac.uk]
Sent: 11 September 2011 19:17
To: herefordshire at mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: [HLUG] Tuxedu Prototypes Finished!

I have just finished re-mastering and testing two Tuxedu prototypes for testing and distribution at SFD and the Schools projects. They will not be available for download until tomorrow morning when I get to work. I will notify everyone as soon as they are available.

I have made a Debian Live CD version which is completely locked down as planned - I managed to fit on Scratch (with no sound), Stopmotion and the extra Marble map as requested by removing jfractionlab (sorry if you wrote the guide) and I also installed epdfview and a pdf copy of the user guide - launched from a desktop icon. I was able to boot from the live CD and from a USB pendrive (using unetbootin and/or 'dd' as it is a hybrid iso). I have set up a usb pendrive using unetbootin and gparted with two partitions one 720MB for the iso and the remaining 3.2GB as a storage area, which can be mounted to save files etc. (minor bug - I have also noticed that when you shutdown the system the computer needs to be manually turned off.)

I have also made a Lubuntu Installable version which isn't locked down at all with the same applications and desktop design etc. This is just under 900MB so it will fit on a 1GB pendrive -obviously this version can be installed to a hard drive, or a USB drive with persistent storage. The audio on scratch works on this version because pulseaudio is installed. This version also has the standard applications that comes with Lubuntu such as Abiword and Gnumeric etc.

In some ways the Lubuntu version is preferable, although I don't think I could get it to fit on a CD, and it is very difficult to lock down.

I will post a message tomorrow with the download links  - which will also be at http://tuxedu.org.uk/ - but it may take me a while to update the webpage etc.

Tony.