[HLUG] Broken Boots

Chris Owens cowens at clara.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 12:02:03 UTC 2011

Kevin my response to your helpful post

Q1. In Linux, hibernation file usual resides on the swap partition so it
normally causes no persistent problems. In Windows it will sit usually
on the c:\. I doubt hibernation or suspension can be part of the
remaining issue.

	A. Agreed. Presumably Pete's suggestion of removing the battery will
have fixed this possibility.

Q2. Can you boot the Windows CD in any other PC? The T40 is not a
particularly new device but sometimes you get odd issues with old
original XP and CD drivers which mean once it loads it can stop
accessing the drive.

	A. This is interesting. The 'spare' CD copy of XP which came with the
second hand T40 will not either run or start restoration of Windows in
the T40 or another somewhat older laptop currently running 10.04 and
Windows 2000. Similarly a CD copy of W2K will not load into either
machine from cold boots - both just run through to the grub menu after
'Press any key to boot from CD'

Q3. Check whether there are any SATA connections, XP doesnt understand
them until SP3 which you would need to slipstream into a CD to get to
work. Check BIOS for SATA compatibility modes or legacy IDE etc.

	A. Not quite sure how to do this or what to look for where

So, worth identifying if the CD works properly (it doesn't seem to -
either two CDs have spontaneously corrupted or 10.04 has done something
to both machines that prevents live booting from MS Windows CDs), to
help narrow the options down.

Q4 As you haven't used Windows for some time it is possible that this
issue was not related to recent activity with power management but at
some other point perhaps when grub was updated.

	A. True I haven't used Windows recently but in retrospect I couldn't
boot from it for several months since a major power outage as Tony
correctly identified. The problem has arisen trying to restore XP.

Q5 Are you hoping to get a) Windows back or b) just remove it or c)
re-install?

	A. The Office for Domestic Affairs (Compliance Division) has requested
that her holiday photos be stored off camera but the software for the
Panasonic Lumix needs post W2K Windows so 1 or 3 is the answer, nothing
else acceptable!!

Is this time for sudo ms-sys -m /dev/hd0,1 I ask or is the problem now
more subtle?

Many thanks

Chris
==================================
Tony: Thanks for this below

1. Have managed to find what a MBR looks like but as yet not the way to
list it from a machine. From what I've seen I don't think I would spot a
corrupted one if I saw one!!

2. See above

3. Didn't take a back up so can't do

4. Couldn't find a /boot/grub/grub.conf but less /boot/grub/grub.cfg
(last section) returned:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "Microsoft Windows XP Professional (on /dev/sda1)" {
         insmod ntfs
         set root='(hd0,1)'
         search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 3e10e00710dfc3d5
         drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
         chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

which I guess shows grub is looking in the right place.

Tony sales 22/09/11

1. Don't know - but I imagine there is a way to do this
2. Don't know.
3. No - but it would be possible to copy a bit for bit image of it back
this way - had you taken a backup before it happened.
4. Yes - look in /boot/grub/grub.conf - you will be able to see which
drive/partition it is trying to boot from.