[HLUG] HMRC Applications

Pete Linnell info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 16:49:18 UTC 2012

Don't ask me, ask Big Jesse. He's not only your MP and sits on the
treasury select committee, he also reckons himself as an open source
advocate!
:)

On 09/04/12 17:46, Steve Horsfield wrote:
> I was not exactly surprised to read that HMRC has made significant savings
> on the upgrade of its existing browser-based applications from IE6 to more
> recent versions of Internet Explorer. Apparently the increase in support
> costs for legacy operating systems and browsers had made this quite
> imperative. The saving, as against the cost of achieving this through the
> existing outsourced HMRC IT contract, arose from placing the upgrade in the
> hands of an independent company of former Microsoft employees blessed with
> insight into the working of its browsers.
>
> Well might you enquire, what is the point of the Cabinet Office reporting
> on the potential savings from open source and non-proprietary systems when
> HMRC continues to pay for its applications to be written for specific
> browsers?
>

> Steve Horsfield

Lifespacedesign offers a bespoke energy evaluation for all types of property

Pete Linnell M.Sc. (Dist) Architecture:Advanced Environment and Energy Studies.