[HLUG] which Ubuntu 12.04 LTS ?

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 15:59:03 UTC 2012

On 24 April 2012 21:18, george dicegeorge <dicegeorge at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ubuntu Long Term Supports are released this Thursday!
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**List_of_Ubuntu_releases#**
> Ubuntu_12.04_LTS_.28Precise_**Pangolin.29<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Ubuntu_12.04_LTS_.28Precise_Pangolin.29>
>
> Which is the best Ubuntu to install,
> and where can on the web I find them compared?

I think there was some comparisons in Linux Format sometime back. You might
be able to order or d/l a back copy

Its difficult to recommend which is best, but certainly xubuntu and Lubuntu
are far better suited to lower spec machines.

> It seems to me that the new default Unity user interface
> is too complicated and new for ex-windows XP users.

I found Unity attractive but just awkward in use up until this release,
(i've been using the beta for a few weeks now). The ergonomics are much
better with Unity now, to the point if you tried it before and didnt like
it, its worth trying again. That said its much the same, no
radical changes, but just smoother and more refined in operation.

> I want a 64 bit version for editing movies,
> and a 32 bit version for old low-spec scrap computers,
> with similar user interfaces.

I think the studio versions are really Ubuntu but very slightly tweaked, ie
with much more A/V software and a lower latency kernel for audio. There are
probably some other changes too. But certainly using Studio isnt a bad idea
at all

> Kubuntu Studio?
> Ubuntu Studio?
> Xubuntu?
> Lubuntu?

for the Low spec machines, I've heard good things about Lubuntu, although
Xubuntu isnt bad at all either

I'll see you later at tonights meet

Julian