[HLUG] SFD 2012 - a few more questions

Leo McArdle leo at mozilla.org.uk
Thu Aug 9 11:46:19 UTC 2012

Hey all!

I have a few more questions about what Mozilla could do at the event.
I have a number of ideas, but it would be great if you could help me
whittle down what's feasible, and what's not, as you know how the
whole event is going to run a lot better than me.

I think doing a talk would be great fun, but I'd need to know if a)
you need/want another speaker, and b) what sort of audience I should
be targeting my talk at. The security talk in my mind, sounds a little
techy for the average joe, but then again, it could just be about
choosing strong passwords, etc. (I have no idea, I'm sure you all have
more of an idea.) The two talks I had in my mind were a general
'Mozilla: Who? What? Where? When? Why? How?' talk (which would be
aimed more at the average-joe kinda audience), or a talk about Firefox
OS (our soon-to-be released mobile operating system [which is FLOSS,
obviously]) (which would be more developer and FLOSS enthusiast
orientated).
Then again, the Mozilla talk could appeal to everyone, since who here
knows that Mozilla is a not-for-profit? (it's going to be an
embarrassingly large number of people, isn't it? :P)

We also have a large collection of videos which would be cool to show,
and IIRC, there was something about showing videos on the PiratePad...
(/me goes and adds that to the PiratePad)

I also noticed using RBPs to do some workshops with kids. This is
something we're starting to do a lot in Mozilla, though not
necessarily with RBPs, and instead of with a programming or scripting
language, we're teaching people how to write HTML and CSS, with our
Webmaker [1] project. If you want to find out more about that, click
the link, but basically, we believe that digital literacy is an
essential life skill, and part of digital literacy is being able to
modify and write your own webpages. So it'd be great if this could be
part of the workshops done.

Yes... I'm still going.

What would also be fun, for the more techie people there, would be to
host a 'Make your own Firefox add-on' workshop. It's surprisingly easy
to do (you just need a little knowledge of JavaScript) and it's rather
fun! :D

And finally, if all goes to plan, there's going to be some pretty
awesome Mozilla swag at the event (I might just be talking about
t-shirts). This could serve as prizes for a competition or quiz. At
first I thought of a Mozilla-themed quiz, but then again, it could be
a general FLOSS quiz, or some other kind of competition (such as, who
can name the most number of Linux distros... I dunno :P)

Right, that's it. Congratulations if you read through all that, I
should probably give you some sort of prize... I've got no idea what,
though.
I thought I should check with the organisers first, before spilling my
brains on the PiratePad, but if that's what you want me to do, I'll
try and somehow condense this all down.

Thanks!
Leo

[1] https://webmaker.org/en-US/about/