[HLUG] Data Transfer Problems.

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 13:57:36 UTC 2012

On 10 August 2012 13:50, Dr Chris Owens <cowens at clara.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> Pete Linnell and I have recently tried to recover some data from an old
> Hard Drive out of a 2002 Viglen Pentium which is inaccessible; it spins
> (without too much noise), doesn't rattle or screech; it could be a Disk
> Descriptor Sector problem but a past history of intermittent loss of access
> means electro-mechanical failure is still a strong possibility.
>
> Given this, it seems silly to fork out for something like SpinRite so
> please, does anyone have any experience with TestDisk, or have, for that
> matter, any other ideas.

Hello Chris

I've used TestDisk (also known as photorec) with some success. Although the
interface looks a bit intimidating, the help screens on their website take
you through each stage, so its far easier than you think. Its definately
the best tool to recover 'lost' files

There are other tools for trying to work with busted disks though. I had a
Cd with many on there once, cant remember what it was called though ..

Julian