[HLUG] Non-intuitive operating systems No 93

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 08:45:35 UTC 2012

Hi Steve

On 12 August 2012 09:33, Steve Horsfield <horsfield.steve at gmail.com> wrote:

> Connecting your Android through USB
>
> Applications
>
> Settings (Is settings an application, would you conventionally expect to
> locate settings under programs and is connecting to USB a setting?)
>
> Wireless and Network (Eh? ......... Would you not normally consider
> connecting through a USB cable to be an alternative to connecting
> wirelessly or through a network, rather than an instance  of the same
> thing)

Correct doesnt make sense ..

> USB Utilities (Yes, we're on the right track now)
>
> USB Mass Storage  - Tap the button below to copy files between the computer
> and  SD card -  Connect storage to a PC
> (Eh? what - who said anything about an SD card? Is it in my SmartPhone or
> should it be in the computer I am connecting to? Is the computer my
> Smartphone or the computer I am trying to connect to and what's this about
> storage?  Oh I see I should simply ignore all that and simply read the
> 'Connect storage to PC' button)

also confusingly not all smart phones have an SD card, so i have a /sdcard
folder which isnt on my sdcard ....

> Connect USB cable to use mass storage
>
> Connect USB Storage
>
> upon physical connection....... USB storage in use; Before disconnecting
> USB storage, eject Android's USB storage from computer       Disconnect
> Storage from PC  (Oh ! again I see, simply ignore all that and use my
> files)
>
> NB if like a numpty you connect your USB cable first the Android device
> treats it like an SD card and the above process doesn't work

At least you can tell it what to do the next time so it always appears liek
a mass storage device and not a KIES device or something

> While the above gobbledegook may make some kind of sense in operational
> terms i.e. the underlying physical processes. It makes no sense in user
> terms. For even the more sophisticated user connecting through a cable to
> another computer and connecting to an SD card  are are not obviously one
> and the same thing and there is no reason whatsoever for having one set of
> parallel routines and commands to do both. At high level the system needs
> SD
> Card
> and Connect through USB cable, but this is Google we are talking about so
> there is no means of upward communication to get this rectified.

Yes, it could be better

Julian