[HLUG] Linux grabs its single biggest win

Alan Richmond alan at curiousminds.co
Wed Jun 20 08:32:56 UTC 2012

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/linux-grabs-its-single-biggest-win/3690?tag=nl.e550

I had to check the date on this article to make sure it wasn't April
1st. If the author is reliable then my ignorance of the capabilities of
Windows - or of the people who deploy it on mission-critical real-time
(RT) systems - is profound. Apparently it was used on the US Air Force's
drone control system and got a virus..

As a scientific programmer I worked with many OSs that were used in RT
environments, nary a copy of Windows in sight. I think I've heard of NT
being used on supercomputers, but even then Linux dominates that sector.
Does anyone here know enough about Windows to explain its use in such a
scenario??

As the author says: "When I read this, I was shocked. First and
foremost, I couldn’t believe such planes were controlled by anything
powered with any flavor of the Windows operating system — not when the
U.S. Navy has enough intelligence and resources to even create their own
OS."

Alan.