[HLUG] Linux grabs its single biggest win

Alan Richmond alan at curiousminds.co
Wed Jun 20 09:38:31 UTC 2012

Eye-opening - I had no idea! I would have thought of these systems as
requiring RTOSs such as those on this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_real-time_operating_systems Windows
CE is the only Windows one there, but I have a hard time wrapping my
head around a drone being operated by CE..

Alan
http://ALuRic.net/

On 20/06/12 09:52, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> I remember there being some consternation regarding "Windows for
> Warships" when it was deployed as part of the guidance systems for
> Surface to Air Missiles a few years back for the UK Navy's Destroyers:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/26/windows_boxes_at_sea/
>
> Generally if you want a basic guide to IT and Defense then Lewis Page @
> ElReg (theregister.co.uk) is worth a read.  He can get a bit
> sensationalist, however he also tends to reveal the downfalls in
> successive government's IT/Defence spending.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Matt
>
> On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 09:34 +0100, Alan Richmond wrote:
>> http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/linux-grabs-its-single-biggest-win/3690?tag=nl.e550
>>
>> I had to check the date on this article to make sure it wasn't April
>> 1st. If the author is reliable then my ignorance of the capabilities of
>> Windows - or of the people who deploy it on mission-critical real-time
>> (RT) systems - is profound. Apparently it was used on the US Air Force's
>> drone control system and got a virus..
>>
>> As a scientific programmer I worked with many OSs that were used in RT
>> environments, nary a copy of Windows in sight. I think I've heard of NT
>> being used on supercomputers, but even then Linux dominates that sector.
>> Does anyone here know enough about Windows to explain its use in such a
>> scenario??
>>
>> As the author says: "When I read this, I was shocked. First and
>> foremost, I couldn’t believe such planes were controlled by anything
>> powered with any flavor of the Windows operating system — not when the
>> U.S. Navy has enough intelligence and resources to even create their own
>> OS."
>>
>> Alan.
>>
>> --

Alan Richmond