[HLUG] RPi

Pete Linnell info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Sun Mar 11 12:22:59 UTC 2012

Hi Jonathan!

I am responding to your call for bids for a Raspberry Pi device based on
its use in a creative, imaginative and community focused project.

We at the Herefordshire LUG ( www.hlug.org.uk ) have been working on a
FLOSS in education project, involving the creation of a special purpose
distro "Tuxedu" ( www.tuxedu.org )

We have evolved this to a stage where we are able to give pre-loaded
copies of the distro with the educational apps aimed at primary age kids
on a USB stick and assure parents that this cannot harm their PC's or
put their kids in harm's way  ( it's locked out of the www except in the
full install version.)
A recent parents evening at a local school brought 30 parents to an
introduction talk and a hands on with resetting their laptops to boot
from the USB. For most of them it was their first experience of doing
anything with their computers apart from switching on default settings
and applications. Many were awed by the FLOSS paradigm, once they began
to understand it :)

We welcome the RPi device as a needed step forward in teaching the
fundamentals of computing to all ages and abilities, and would love to
get our collective hands on one to explore its potential in tandem with
the Tuxedu distro.

May the wisdom of Solomon guide your choice, and as ever our thanks to
Linux Format with your support for our work.

Yours faithfully,
Pete Linnell
HLUG

--
Lifespacedesign offers a bespoke energy evaluation for all types of property

Pete Linnell M.Sc. (Dist) Architecture:Advanced Environment and Energy Studies.