[HLUG] Herefordshire Digest, Vol 1520, Issue 1

Kevin Dontenville kevin at opensure.net
Wed Nov 14 13:57:21 UTC 2012

I did notice that Superbase is still sort of active, http://www.superbase.com - not ideal to try with something proprietary but if you have a lot already invested in it with data, code and working practice then it may be worth looking at.

I am no DB guru but perhaps knowing more about the project eg the type and volume of data, access tools and reporting needs would help to advise. When you refer to cells are you effectively referring to fields within a database or table? If you are visualizing the data as a table ie field names and values in columns is this for entry, editing or selection for reporting etc? In some places I am known for banging on about separating presentation from content - it may be that using a different DB client tool may offer what you want with MySQL ;-)

There are a few simple DB options from Base in libre/open office, tinysql, sqlite and then to number of nosql DBs or other traditional Postgresql or MySQL or forks like MariaDB, Drizzle etc

You could also look at Kexi as a rapid development tool with a DB engine on a desktop platform http://www.kexi-project.org/

Kevin