[HLUG] android phone swamped with gmail contacts

Steve Horsfield horsfield.steve at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:33:21 UTC 2012

I have the same problem i.e. every bloody email address to pass through my
mail box in the last six years appears in my contacts. However grouping my
contacts and the friends, favourites categories surmount this problem. I
have 1253 addresses in the 'not-assigned' category. I understand a near
neighbour of mine inadvertently allowed linkedin to comb through his gmail
account sending invitations to all manner of people he did not know
requesting they join him on linked in. It is so easily done.

Returning to the plot however, you need to be extremely careful with the
Google security, what there is of it. Since I started using the Android
Google has begun to log me out on my laptop daily and on every reboot. That
is quite right. It is detecting that the account is being used elsewhere,
on the Android and demanding an active login. Google does not do that on my
Android, there is no active login. Once anyone is in to my phone they have
access to my mail, my contacts, my documents, everything. The only security
I have on that is the password protection on the phone.

Steve Horsfield