[HLUG] Strange problem

Tim Spivey tim at spiveyworld.net
Sat Jan 26 15:45:50 UTC 2013

Hello all

I am running Xubuntu on my desktop PC and I use the Chromium browser.  I
use Chromium as I like the fact that when I sign in with my Google account
all my bookmarks, passwords etc are imported.  I recently got fibre
broadband so enjoy download speeds of about 38 Mbps (4 MB/S in real terms).
 I have been noticing recently that my downloads via Chromium have been
max-ing out at 2 MB/S.  I did a bit of digging today and found that if I
download the Ubuntu ISO through Chromium it comes down at 2MB/S, but if I
download the same file through Firefox it downloads at 4MB/S.  Does anyone
know why this should be?  I have done all the obvious stuff, clearing cache
and cookies, but this problem still persists.  Also, strangely, if I run
talktalk's speedtesting utility (
http://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/) whilst in Chromium it
registers at around 6 or 7 Mbps whereas if I then launch Firefox and run
the same speedtest it registers at arounnd 38Mbps (which is my full speed).

I am confused, can anyone shed any light?

Tim