[HLUG] Tuesday 16 mapping to facebook

Ben Proctor ben at benproctor.co.uk
Sun Jun 16 20:52:53 UTC 2013

This reminds me that I haven't said what I plan to talk about

Something like this

"Getting Started with OpenStreetMap"

OpenStreetMap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/> is sometimes called Wikipedia
for maps. It is a vast, remarkably accurate and powerful database of global
mapping information provided by volunteers and free for anyone to use.

I hope to give you a quick overview of how it works. How easy it is to
edit. Why you would bother to edit it and ways in which the maps have been
and will continue to be useful. I hope it will be fairly practical and if
people bring laptops they should be able to get editing the map straight
away.

My hope is that you'll get a sense of how easy it is to get started and to
make use of the mapping data. This is an overview and hopefully some
pointers to get you started. However if you have experience using
OpenStreetMap it would be great to have you there to share your experience.

If we have time maybe we can touch on some open source GIS tools and other
open mapping projects like Ushahidi <http://www.ushahidi.com/> (which is a
tool I've used for a few projects).

I am aware that some LUGs have embraced open mapping and that in some areas
pub crawls are combined with mapping in a useful and enjoyable
way<http://www.wylug.org.uk/2008/02/openstreetmap-pub-crawl-27-feb-2008/>.
Maybe some people will want to take this further. No pressure.

You may want to sign up for an OpenStreetMap account now. You never know
when you'll need it

Special note for Linux folk:
OpenStreetMap is an open data project and the tools to edit it are
available for many OS's. If you want to try some editing on the night
you'll need a browser that is comfortable running lots of funky javascript
and you'll need an up to date java environment installed. If you fancy you
can install JOSM. There is an Ubuntu
repository.<http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Download>