[HLUG] New member information

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 10:58:37 UTC 2014

Hello Ann

Firstly, welcome to the Herefordshire LUG.  I hope you will get something
useful out of joining our group.

Thank you for post about using Linux Mint.  Normally I send an introductory
email to new members of the LUG,  asking them to post about themselves and
what they want to get out of the group,  but you beat me to it ;-)

I'm pleased Mint is working out so well for you.  It's an ideal win XP
replacement,  and for many existing Windows users ideal for many purposes.

You're welcome to come along to our regular monthly meetings usually held
fourth Weds of each month,  with a few special events taking place
throughout the year too.

If you get stuck please just ask for help.  We all try to help Linux
newcomers as much as we can.

Equally I'm pleased you're all set with your sound and printer now.  We had
a recent thread about some printer manufacturers being more if a pain
properly supporting Linux than others,  come in Canon ..  So if you're on
the look out for any new hardware asking the group first for their
experiences can be very useful to avoid problems later on.

Please tell any windows xp owning friends about Linux and Open Source,  as
I'm sure you're aware windows will be stopping security updates for XP very
very soon,  whereas Linux Mint and others can provide new life for older
laptops secure and completely fully up to date.

Again many thanks for joining our group.

Regards

Julian Robbins
Herefordshire LUGMaster