[HLUG] Raspberry PI OpenElec Media centre

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 23:10:15 UTC 2014

Hi

Been a bit quiet on the list so far this year.

I must be the last person in the world to do this, but I finally bought a
Raspberry PI a week or so back. The aim is to replace an old freeview box
with an all singing/dancing media box instead to add some functionality,
like pausing live tv, recordings, etc etc etc.

I already had many parts for this, like PSU and DVB tuner, etc but when
powered up, just could not get a signal on the DVB tuner. Frustrating.
Believed it was an issue with power supply draw, so used a powered hub
instead, but still no better. Just couldn't work it out.

Then put DVB tuner stick in laptop instead - still no signal ...so
suspected something up with aerial, as I have two different DVB devices to
try and neither worked.

Then, I thought ... I wonder if switching off my Ethernet over Power device
is interfering as the socket is right next to the aerial socket? Unplugging
this was key, and suddenly multiplexes and services started appearing ...
Often the most silly thing that stops you in your tracks !!

So, mostly working now. A bit slow to turn channel over and still need to
box up my various bits and bobs, but apart from getting a remote control
working ... working nicely. Changing the channels by using a mouse just
seems so weird at the moment.

You have to admit these devices are cool, it's only when you dive into
using one properly that you discover the myriad of possibilities.

But sadly, I also wonder how many Pi's are languishing unloved,
misunderstood, in homes. After explaining what I had made to my daughter,
she said they weren't any good as a friend at school had one and said it
was 'crap' as it didn't do anything ... I think there's a real risk these
devices are sometimes just powered up a few times, Raspian played with, and
the PI never explored at all to find out how much fun you can have with
them.

Perhaps we ought to think of a useful project for the county that people
can use their Pi's for ? Or have a Pi day where they can bring their
devices and we can show them some funky things they can do ... ?

Just a thought ..

Cheers